Listed below are several sources that give tips on overwintering your evergreens successfully.
All of the sources reinforce the following:
- Select the appropriate plant for your location.
- Avoid pruning or fertilizing in the late summer--this encourages new growth that can be damaged by drying winds.
- Water trees and shrubs until the ground freezes.
- Use mulch to conserve moisture around the tree roots.
- Use burlap screens to protect vulnerable evergreens from salt spray and drying winds.
- Use an anti-desiccant on any evergreens that are vulnerable to wind.
Bizon Blue Spruce
Give us a call at the nursery (Phone: 260-637-5816) if you have any questions about over-wintering your plants. Don't forget that extension offices around the country provide great information on gardening issues.
Several great sources for tips on over-wintering:
University of Minnesota Extension
includes nice diagrams on the use of burlap and ties to help over-winter your evergreens.
The Ohio State University Extension
gives great facts about over-wintering.
Enjoy the beauty of your evergreen plants for years to come!